Featured image courtesy of Jorell Legaspi
Debi Mendez is an artist on so many levels! Not only is she a master with makeup, but she does portrait painting too! We met a couple of weeks ago and I must admit I am utterly obsessed with her work.
She has likewise provided makeup for celebrities and V.I.P.’s such as Nadine Labaki, Mark Strong, Sheikha Raya Al-Khalifa, to name a few. Her Makeup works have been published for magazines such as Harper’s Bazaar, Velvet, GLAM and many more.
Learn a little more about Debi and her work in this Q & A which you can find below:
1. What inspired you to become a professional makeup artist?
As a little girl, I am fascinated with my grandmother dressing up and makeup prepping before going out. Her signature red lips, liner, bold brows, sophisticated pearls, and classic get up made me wish of pursuing beauty as a career. Voila, here I am.
2. How long does it typically take you to do your own makeup?
It takes 5-10 minutes to do my own. I skip foundation and I focus on skin care most. Then, I focus on my bold lip of choice, bold brows, mascara or lashes (occasional), slightest touch of highlight, and bronzer as I like to look tan. As much as possible, I like to feel my skin and the look of real skin.
3. What are some common beauty mistakes that women make?
Over contouring on a daily basis, skipping skin care, not drinking water, over lining the lips twice as larger as ones lip, choosing foundation lighter than skin tone which results to a grey finish….the list goes on.
4. What challenges did you face as a makeup artist?
When a client asks for a “khaliji” look, and when celebrities make you wait.
5. What do you think of Haina’s makeup style? Any trend you would like to see her try?
Haina’s style of makeup is versatile and fresh that it can be worn on a daily basis or night look. Would love to see her sport a Matt smokey eye or pastels.
6. Who is your biggest inspiration as a makeup artist?
Quite precise with my inspirations as I look up to them on a daily basis. In beauty I like Kevyn Aucoin, Gregory Arlt, Mario Dedivanovic, Masooma Jaleel, & Scott Barnes, and in Avant/Fashion I love Kabuki, Pat McGrath, Val Garland, & Alex Box.
7. What is a look you would want to try out on a client?
Glossy lids. Less contouring.
8. If you weren’t a makeup artist, what do you want to be?
A vet! I love animals. Or a mortician makeup artist as I am fascinated with cadavers in the Victorian times on how they make the dead look alive, and dead celebrities on their funeral on how they look like as if they’re asleep.
9. How would you describe your signature look
“Fashion glamour, with Arabian touch…”
10. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Having my own line of makeup. Working on it!